Creamy Chicken & Gnocchi soupThe Bread Lady
I love chicken soup. Something about it being good for the soul. Or maybe it’s just a classic.
In a heavy stock pot, melt butter and oil on med heat. Cook onion and carrots sprinkled with a little salt and pepper until onions are translucent and fragrant.
Add chicken, chicken stock, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, gnocchi, and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 min.
Whisk flour into cream or half & half to make a roux. Then stir into soup until thickened.
Stir in sliced spinach. and cook until bright green. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve, garnished with parsley (or not, nbd).
Serve with bread or a grilled cheese sandwich.
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (I Used Tuscan Herb Olive Oil For Extra Flavor)
- 1 Onion, Chopped Fine
- 2 Carrots, Grated
- 2 Chicken Breasts (Precooked, Also Great Way To Use Up Leftovers)
- 3 Large Cloves Garlic, Smashed And Minced
- 2 Cartons Chicken Broth
- 1 Pkg Gnocchi
- 1 Cup Fresh Spinach, Sliced Thin
- 1 Tbsp Dried Basil
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt And Pepper To Taste (I Typically Use At Least A Tbsp Pepper, But Start Small And Build)
- 1 C Heavy Cream (You Can Use Half & Half If That’s All You Have)
- 3 Heaping Tbsp Flour
- Curly Parsley Roughly Chopped For Garnish (Optional)