Chicken Tortilla Soup
Nothing is better than soup on a cold night. And nothing is better than having another reason to eat tortilla chips. You know what else is great about this? It’s gluten free! But that’s just because none of the ingredients contain gluten, so naturally it’s gluten free. This recipe is great for using up leftover chicken, too!
Bake chicken according to directions above.
In large stock pot, medium heat, sauté onions and garlic sprinkled with salt and pepper (kosher and fresh ground if you have it) in a drizzle of olive oil.
Add tomatoes, turn to med-low and cook until they start to caramelize and liquid begins to evaporate.
Add chicken stock/broth, roasted red peppers and green peppers and purée with a stick blender (or pour all but chicken broth into blender, purée and return to pot, THEN add broth).
Add chicken, corn, spices, big pinch of salt and pepper, and simmer low until thickened. You can also make a roux out of masa flour and water (thinner than pancake batter) and stir that in to help thicken. Also keeps the meal gluten free and adds more corn flavor if you use masa. Stir in about 1/3 cup sour cream (eyeball it…it won’t make or break it). Adjust flavor with salt & pepper.
Serve in bowls over tortilla chips, garnish with lime, cilantro, cheese, and sour cream. Also try avocado.
- 1 Lg Onion, Finely Chopped
- 4 Large Tomatoes, Diced
- 3 -4 Cloves Garlic, Peeled, Smashed, And Salted
- 3 Chicken Breasts, Seasoned With Salt, Pepper, Mexican Oregano, And Granulated Garlic, Baked At 400° Until Juices Run Clear (20-25 Min, Internal Temp 160°) Then Chopped Fine Enough To Eat With A Spoon.
- 1 Carton Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Ground Coriander
- 1/4 Tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Mild Chili Powder
- 1 Can Mild Green Peppers, Diced
- 2 Cups Fresh Or Frozen Corn Kernels (NEVER Use Canned)
- 1 Jar Roasted Red Peppers
- Bag Of Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
- Cilantro (Optional, Since Some People HATE Cilantro)
- Cheese (Asiago, Cojita, Panela, Queso Fresco, Or Whatever You Like)